Academic Internship in Science Outreach & Diplomacy
Starting May 1, 2020 until October 31, 2020 / 6 months
Location swissnex China, Shanghai
swissnex China is the Science Consulate of Switzerland for China, connecting the dots between the two countries in education, research and innovation. Our mission is to provide a multi-faceted, transdisciplinary platform to facilitate international exchange in ideas, knowledge and talent. We operate on a non-profit, public-private partnership model, working closely with our extensive network of partners comprising of universities, research labs, innovators, startups, corporations and international organizations on fostering collaboration and ground-breaking innovation.
We are looking for a highly motivated Science Outreach & Diplomacy Academic Intern who is passionate about advancing scientific outreach and communicating the importance and impact of science to society. As Junior Project Manager, you will work closely with the CEO and the Communications team to compile and publish our science newsletters informing on the most exciting scientific developments, emerging trends and collaborative opportunities in Switzerland and China. By finding and publicizing the most newsworthy scientific papers coming out of both countries, you will gain real-world experience working as a public information officer at an official representation of Switzerland in one of the fastest-changing regions of the world. Additionally, you will be tasked with supporting the CEO with the coordination of science diplomacy projects and high-profile delegation visits. In this role you will not only be afforded the opportunity to take part in the planning and execution of exciting events and other activities, you will also be able to extend your personal network of contacts and gain practical experience by supporting the team in administrative and operational tasks. Our hard-working, super friendly and supportive team will be there to help guide you on this extraordinary journey.
- Research: Identify newsworthy information and trends from university / public outlets and scientific journals for the science newsletters. Serve as a resource and advocate for Swiss-based research, science and innovation.
- Communications and Outreach: Manage a variety of outreach and communications-related tasks, including but not limited to overseeing the science newsletters, social media support and collating science and technology-related news articles for both internal and external audiences. Draft a variety of written material including news releases, articles, newsletters, blog posts and correspondence.
- Project Coordination: Assist in managing and scheduling science diplomacy projects (S&T Diplomatic Circle) and delegation visits.
- ‘Connecting the dots’ & Networking: Act as a connector between people and ideas. Get connected with scientists and researchers and look for synergies. Attend relevant events, conferences and meetings in China. Cultivate existing relations with partners and stakeholders and develop new contacts and networks in China.
- Assist the team with the organization and implementation of special events and high-profile delegation visits.
- Other administrative and support duties such as organization of weekly staff meeting as assigned.
- Swiss (with official residence in Switzerland) or Chinese citizenship. Please note that a valid clean criminal record is prerequisite for the start of the internship.
- Bachelor and master’s students and graduates (start of internship within 1 year after graduation), preferably from a Swiss University or University of Applied Sciences
- Experience in or strong understanding of the fields of science, technology and innovation
- Strong competency in conducting research and excellent writing skills
- Enthusiasm for swissnex’s mission: furthering and promoting Swiss excellence in education, research and innovation
- Prior experience in event organization and/or project management in a similar field is welcomed
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work autonomously as well as in a team
- Problem-solving skills with the self-motivation to make things happen with a positive outlook
- Fast-thinking, proactive, organized, reliable, flexible and creative
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; knowledge of international and, preferably, local social media
- Excellent command of English and at least one Swiss national language (German, French, Italian or Romansh); knowledge of Chinese (Mandarin) highly welcome
- The internship is subject to Swiss law.
- Please note that costs for accommodation and traveling as well as expenses related to visa and working/residence permit are to be borne by the candidate and will not be covered or reimbursed by the employer.
Did we raise your interest? Then we look forward to hearing more about you!
Send your full application to this LINK until March 15, 2020 (or until suitable candidate is identified)!
Your application must include the following documents:
- Cover letter (letter of motivation) and CV/résumé
- Copies of letters of reference, university diplomas and transcript of records, as well as work certificates
We will reply to incoming applications in due time. No phone call inquiries please.
More details will be shared in the process of the recruitment.