Starting April 6, 2020 until September 30, 2020 / 6 Months
Located in 22F, Bldg. A, Far East International Plaza, 319 XianXia Road, Shanghai, China
swissnex China is the Science Consulate of Switzerland for China, connecting the dots between the two countries in education, research and innovation. Our mission is to provide a multi-faceted, trans-disciplinary platform to facilitate international exchange in ideas, knowledge and talent. We operate on a non-profit, public-private partnership model, working closely with our extensive network of partners comprising of universities, research labs, innovators, startups, corporations and international organizations on fostering collaboration and ground-breaking innovation.
We are looking for a bright, self-driven and ambitious Junior PR & Communications Manager with exceptional creative energy to help us promote swissnex China’s many projects and activities. As an outgoing media-savvy marketer with outstanding communications, media relations and organizational skills, you will complement our team by coordinating and supporting our communications activities with external and internal stakeholders. The ideal candidate is able to work across disciplines, happy to embrace and lead change, and ready to help us bring swissnex’s outreach to the next level. As Junior PR & Communications Manager at swissnex China, you will be joining a dynamic and supportive team working in a fast-paced, creative and collaborative environment at our Shanghai office.
- General Communications: report to and support the Communications Team in further developing, strengthening and implementing swissnex China’s on- and offline communications strategy. Working closely with the swissnex China team, engage in marketing & communications tasks related to swissnex projects and activities, from copywriting, translation, marketing analytics, graphics work to videos editing. Help maintain and grow database of contacts for the swissnex CRM: invitations, newsletters (MailChimp) and announcements.
- Content Creation: active contribution to events and delegation visits by assisting with photography, videos, blogs and interviews. Develop and maintain a library of high-quality copy, photo, video and other digital assets for our end-of-year Annual Report.
- Web & Social Media: help develop a solid and coherent communications strategy, and ensure a positive and innovative presence of swissnex China across various web/social media channels. Conceptualize compelling content, schedule and implement social media / web campaigns using the Social Media Calendar.
- ‘Connecting the dots’ & Networking: act as a connector between people and ideas.
- Other administrative and support duties as assigned.
- Swiss or Chinese passport holder (CH / CN citizenship only)
- Excellent command of English and Mandarin; knowledge of a Swiss National language (German, French, Italian or Romansh) would be an advantage
- Strong creative ability in copywriting, video / photo editing and graphic design with samples of your work to share
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop / InDesign / Premiere Pro) highly desired
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree, preferably from a Swiss University or University of Applied Sciences
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, avid networker and strong presentation skills
- Proven ability to work well and prioritize tasks under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude
- Serious attention to detail and commitment to excellence
- Proactive, reliable, independent, team player, organized
- Previous experience in a PR and / or Communications role preferred
- Fluency in multiple social media channels: WeChat / Weibo / LinkedIn / Twitter / Facebook / Instagram
- Experience or understanding of science, technology and innovation, and enthusiasm for swissnex’s mission: furthering and promoting Swiss excellence in education, research and innovation
- Please note that the conditions of employment are local, no expatriate contract
- Personal costs and expenses, such as accommodation and traveling expenses are not being covered or reimbursed
Did we raise your interest? Then we look forward to hearing more about you!
Send your full application to this LINK until March 15, 2020!
Your application must include the following documents:
- Letter of Motivation
- Copies of letters of reference, university diplomas, and transcript of records, as well as work certificates
- Portfolio of your graphic design work (optional, but strongly desired)
We will reply to incoming applications after the deadline. No phone call inquiries please.
More details will be shared in the process of the recruitment.
Why expand to China?
China has become the second largest economy in the world, leading the way in fields such as smartphones, where it is the world’s largest smartphone market with over 700 million active users. Given its market size, purchasing power and enthusiasm for technology, China presents market opportunities that MNCs, SMEs and even start-ups cannot afford to miss.
What is to expect?
Entrepreneurship is hard enough without having to address the challenges of a new country, language, and culture. With its significant differences and culture shock, in China you need an ability to adapt fast and learn quickly if you are to succeed in China. China is keen to invest in technology and eager to use innovative methods and to collaborate with global partners.
What is the state of innovation?
China is the second largest R&D spender and the country’s enthusiasm for research and development is driven by its economic dynamism and long-term commitment to science and technology innovation. The scale of China is so big that each region has its own innovation character. Enterprise innovation has gained traction in recent years, and features incremental technology innovation and business model innovation. The rise of giant companies such as Alibaba, Tencent and Huawei illustrates the focus on innovation in the Chinese ecosystem. There are over 1300 incubators and accelerators across the country.
What’s the good thing about China?
The country is developing quickly, so the market is still full of opportunities for those who embrace adventure and the entrepreneurial spirit.
Swiss brands are popular with the Chinese and are seem as a symbol of quality. With its huge and developing market, China offers enormous potential for companies planning to expand to China
..and what’s the challenge?
With a population that exceeds 1.3 billion people and a landmass larger than the United States, China’s sheer size and scale presents challenges uniquely distinct from any other market; the country is highly segmented, with diverse characters in different regions. Also, the allure of market size sometimes hides the intensity of competition. An ability to adapt and cater to local demand will either be a recipe for success or a challenge for doing business in China
What brings swissnex China to the table?
swissnex China is active in integrating innovation elements in China and offers Swiss startups a valuable local network and knowledge. We collaborate closely with public and private sector partners in an effort to foster relationships with mutual benefits and attempt to build a strong link between China and Switzerland.
In addition, we organize and sponsor several startup programs, such as Innosuisse Market entry Camp. CES Asias and Venture Leaders. You are welcome to explore our website to find more about our mission and the services we offer.
What does success for a Market Validation Camp or Maket Entry Camp look like in your case?
- MVC success is a first-hand understanding of the market segment and a clear vision how to validate the products, market, to understand how to enter, and concrete plans to return for pursuing that vision.
- MEC success: approach to potential clients/partners/ distributors; keep a good follow up with potential contacts and swift them to cooperation; figure out the USP; knowledge about how to protect IP; ready to launch in China market etc.
How do you typically structure your Camp?
- Understand the startup’s status/ products/ services
- Related China market research
- Modification of the milestones together with the startup and Innosuisse
- Represent the startups and make efforts to explore possible opportunities to help the startups realize their objectives.
For startups, how does your role look like during Innosuisse Market Entry Camp?
Through market entry camp, startups will receive customized support to leverage your first steps in China market. We act like part of your team, to reach your potential cooperation partners, customers, IP consultant etc.
Back to Innosuisse Market Entry Camp