Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
The team at swissnex China wishes you peace, joy and prosperity throughout the coming year.
Thank you for your continued support and partnership.
We look forward to working with you in the year 2018 to come!
Swiss Center Shanghai
SCS Machinery, Trading and Business Center
Job position: Trade Specialist
The role of the Trade Specialist will be to consult advice and support the Swiss company with the import and export procedures. The Swiss Center holds the appropriate import/export license and provides ready-to-use bounded and non-bounded warehouse.
Location: Shanghai, Shanghai (Pilot Free Trade Zone), Waigaoqiao, Fute East Road n°526.
The Swiss Center Shanghai, SCS Machinery, Trading and Business Center (SCS) is located in the Shanghai Pilot Free Trade Zone and covers 4000sqm facilities with office, showroom and bonded – non bounded warehouse space. SCS supports Swiss companies to enter into the Chinese market with providing them concrete solution and network. SCS was found in 2000 and is today one of the biggest cluster of Swiss companies in Asia and has supported over 250SMEs in the last 15 years.
The new position at SCS is dedicated to the import/export service. The SCS Trade Officer will be responsible of SCS members and non-member who require support in the above procedures. Her/His role will be to prepare customs documentation and ensure that shipments meet all applicable laws to facilitate the import and export of goods. She/He will determine, track duties, taxes payable and process payments on behalf of client. She/He will sign documents under a power of attorney and represent clients in meetings with customs officials and apply for duty refunds and tariff reclassifications. She/He will also coordinate with logistic partners on the transportation and storage of the goods.
The applicant will consult SCS member in identifying information by categorizing, estimating, recognizing the needs, providing guidance and expert advice to them. As a representative of SCS in terms of import/export procedure, establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships, developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time will be essential and decisive.
On a daily basis, the SCS Trade Officer will make decisions and solve all challenges the procedure ensues. Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems will be the applicant key asset.
- Consult Swiss Center customers and provide import/export solution to them
- Advise customers on import and export restrictions, tariff systems, insurance requirements, quotas, or other customs-related matters
- Prepare and process import and export documentation according to customs regulations, laws, or procedures
- Pay, or arrange for payment of, taxes and duties on shipments
- Sign documents on behalf of clients, using powers of attorney
- Clear goods through customs and to their destinations for clients
- Calculate duty and tariff payments owed on shipments
- Stay abreast of changes in import or export laws or regulations by reading current literature, attending meetings or conferences, or conferring with colleagues
- Request or compile necessary import documentation, such as customs invoices, certificates of origin, and cargo-control documents
- Monitor or trace the location of goods
- Confer with officials in various agencies to facilitate clearance of goods through customs and quarantine
- Post bonds for the products being imported or assist clients in obtaining bonds
- Quote duty and tax rates on goods to be imported, based on tariffs and excise taxes
- Obtain line releases for frequent shippers of low-risk commodities, high-volume entries, or multiple-container loads
- Arrange for transportation, warehousing, or product distribution of imported or exported products
- Inform importers and exporters of steps to reduce duties and taxes
- Contract with freight forwarders for destination services
- Maintain relationships with customs brokers in other ports to expedite clearing of cargo
- Apply for tariff concessions or for duty drawbacks and other refunds
- Provide advice on transportation options, types of carriers, or shipping routes
- Prepare papers for shippers to appeal duty charges
- Suggest best methods of packaging or labeling products
- Insure cargo against loss, damage, or pilferage
- Develop and nurture relation with contacts outside the Swiss Center, represent the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources
- Inform and train SCS colleagues on import/export procedure
- University degree or equivalent in Import/Export Management
- Native language Chinese, Proficiency in English
- Minimum 5 years experiences as a professional agent broker
- Experience in the Shanghai Pilot Free Trade Zone is a plus
- Strong analytical, communication and negotiation skills
- Initiative and solution oriented personality
- Able to work on the standard and technical software link with the import/export and logistic solution
- Accurate and precise work
- Comfortable dealing with foreigner
Person of contact: Emmanuelle Roduit, +86 139 1686 3284
Email address: email@example.com
Swiss Center Shanghai is looking for a Marketing/administrative intern in our Waigaoqiao office.
The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to monitoring and posting on wechat and social networks, participating in online outreach and promotion, optimizing our website. Those looking to gain valuable online media experience with a growing organization are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants are kindly invited to send their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please visit our official website: http://www.swisscenters.org/
1. Job Description
- Support in SCS online marketing development
- Monitoring and posting on wechat and social networks
- Support in preparation of marketing materials and company documents
- Support in organization of events, delegation programs and receiving visitors
- Maintain SCS contact database including business card inputs and updates
- Support in Administration tasks (administrative paperwork, contacts with local bureaus, gathering information, official letters, translations, office facilities management, etc.)
2. Candidate Profile
2.1. Personal Attribute
- Pro-active, creative and solution oriented
- Service and result oriented
- Very well organized and independent
- Naturally likes to build up networks and relations
- Identifies with and recognizes the need for the organization’s vision and strategy
- Reliable, responsible, loyal, honest and straightforward
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Event organization, Marketing, and PR
- Computer Skills with Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) and Web tools (social media)
- Undergraduate in Marketing, PR, Journalism, Economics or English.
- Experience in marketing/promotion, event organization, or media and press relations
In its function as the Swiss Leading House for Asia, ETH Zurich is happy to announce the launch of a new call for Innovation Partnership Grants. The grants will support the establishment of cooperation between Swiss researchers from universities, universities of applied sciences or public research institutes with non-academic innovation agents in China (including Hong Kong and Taiwan), Japan, South Korea and member states of ASEAN. These agents can be corporates, SMEs or start-ups, innovation parks or similar entities with a focus on applied sciences or technical development. The goal of the innovation partnership grants is to initiate long-term partnerships with mutually beneficial concrete outcomes. The respective guidelines and application form are attached and can also be found on their website here, or check out the following document Call_Document_Innovation_Partnership_Grants 122017__final
The call is open to all scientific disciplines including social sciences and humanities and to researchers from all Swiss universities, universities of applied sciences and research institutes.
Deadline for applications is 28 February 2018.
By Martin Stürchler, Junior Project Leader
In case you have not heard of the blockchain technology, blockchain gives the internet user the possibility to transfer a piece of digital property to another internet user. The Blockchain guarantees the transfer to be safe and secure. Due to the fact that the blockchain is transparent everyone knows that the transfer has taken place and nobody can challenge the legitimacy of the transfer.
Switzerland as a leader in innovation and with crypto valley Zug on the rise in the Blockchain scene has gained curiosity around the world including China.
On November 20 & 21, swissnex China successfully launched its first “Future of Money” series’ event themed “Blockchain in Fintech” with a great exceptional panel of Swiss and Chinese Blockchain & Fintech experts. The topics that have been discussed are the revolutionizing technology of Blockchain in Fintech and the future outlook of how cryptocurrencies and distributed ledger have the potential to affect different industries and shape the world of tomorrow.
The panel was moderated by the FinTech expert Zennon Kapron, Director of Kapron ASIA. In the panel seven Blockchain experts joined: Da HongFei, Founder of NEO the largest Blockchain project in China, gave interesting insights how digital identity can digitalize assets, to automate the management of digital assets using smart contracts aiming to create a “smart economy”. Furthermore from Hong Kong we welcomed Arthur Hayes, CEO of BitMEX who explained the next generation of Bitcoin derivates. Ms. Qijun Wang a serial entrepreneur and co-founder of crypto asset management startup Queschain representing the voice for women in the industry. Last but not least we had Mr. Rong Chen, co-founder of Elastos Foundation who works on a smart-web powered by Blockchain, and Mr. Jason Inch who shared with us his most recent insights of his book “China 4.0” and his latest Blockchain project Genaro.
Switzerland was represented by Dr. Thomas Bocek, Head of P2P and distributed systems CSG of the University of Zurich and Manuel Stagars, movie maker of the documentary “Blockchain and Us”. Mr. Bocek gave the audience a taste of the technological background on peer-to-peer, distributed systems, including Bitcoins and Blockchain. On the other hand Mr. Stagars, due to his documentary movie and many interviews with key players in Switzerland, shared interesting
insights of the Swiss Fintech landscape and its opportunities and challenges for the Blockchain technology.
Many interesting questions were discussed during the two events: Is Blockchain technology a game changer? Which industries will the Blockchain in particular influence? Is Switzerland going to play a key player in this Fintech industry? How long does it takes for mass adoption? What are the opportunities and threats of Blockchain technology?
The panelists actively replied to questions throughout the conference. The conclusion was that blockchain technology is still at the beginning of a revolution, which will have the power to change our everyday life.
“I have to say this has been one of the greatest events I have had and I appreciate the invite from swissnex and the opportunity to share the stage to learn from my fellow panelists so much.” Ms. QJ (Qijun) Wang – CEO and Founder, Queschain Capital
“swissnex Future of Money event, industry sharing is comprehensive, audience is great, Q&A communication is fantastic.” Johnson Zhao Chen – Head of Business Development and Operations at NEO
“The event was great. For the future, let us plan some Fintech events together, I think that would work great.” Johan Uddman – General Manager & Investor at JadeValue Fintech
“First of all thank you for this great event! It was impressed about the organization and the event itself. Keep going!” Celina Eisenring – Consulate General of Switzerland in Shanghai
“Many thanks for putting on a great event and fantastic to meet you all.” Manuel Stagars – Founder of Blockchain & Us
“Thanks for the superb organization!” Dr. Thomas Bocek – Head of P2P and distributed systems at the CSG of the University of Zurich
To get more information please find the detailed list of the panelist below:
Dr. Thomas Bocek, Head of P2P and distributed systems at the CSG of the University of Zurich, Dr. Thomas Bocek is mainly interested in communication systems and networks, especially focusing on peer-to-peer, distributed systems, including Bitcoins and blockchains. Thomas has published several papers on these topics and his PhD topic has a strong focus on Peer-to-Peer and distributed systems.
Manuel Stagars, Founder of Blockchain & Us, Manuel Stagars is an author, film director, economist, and serial entrepreneur with 20 years of experience in consulting and startups in Switzerland, the United States, Japan, and Singapore. His documentary films focus on technological innovations and their potential to improve the lives of people.
Qijun Wang, Founder and CEO of Queschain, Co-Founder of several blockchain startups, open-source blockchain projects such as MakerDAO, community education initiatives, and charity programs with a focus of connecting China and the rest of the world.
Da Hongfei, Founder of NEO & CEO of Onchain, Da Hongfei came across Bitcoin in 2011, and worked fulltime in the industry since 2013. In 2014, he founded NEO, a blockchain to register, transfer, and exchange digital assets, and led the startup to become the benchmark in the Chinese blockchain community.
Arthur Hayes, CEO of BitMEX, In January 2014, BitMEX – Bitcoin Mercantile Exchange was formed. BitMEX is a trading platform that gives retail investors access to the global financial markets using Bitcoin, the Blockchain, and financial derivatives. BitMEX through the use of Bitcoin as collateral, allows anyone anywhere to trade any type of financial asset.
Jason Inch, Serial Entrepreneur & Author of China 4.0, Jason is also an accomplished writer with several books about China’s economy. His most recent book is called China 4.0 and he is also the founder of the China Business Events meetup community.
Rong Chen, Co-Founder of Elastos Foundation, Rong believes that a smart-web powered by the blockchain technology is the future for Elastos to create the scarcity of digital contents. He established the Elastos Foundation with his partners in June of 2017.