Internship in Science Outreach & Engagement
Starting September 1, 2018 until February 28, 2019 / 6 months
Located in 22F, Bldg. A, Far East International Plaza, 319 XianXia Road, Shanghai, China
swissnex China is the Science Consulate of Switzerland for China, connecting the dots between the two countries in science, education, art and innovation. Our mission is to provide a multi-faceted, transdisciplinary platform to facilitate international exchange in ideas, knowledge and talent. We operate on a non-profit, public-private partnership model, working closely with our extensive network of partners comprising of universities, research labs, innovators, startups, corporations and international organizations on fostering collaboration and ground-breaking innovation.
We are looking for a highly-motivated Science Outreach & Engagement Intern who is passionate about advancing scientific outreach and communicating the importance and impact of science to society. As Junior Project Manager, you will work closely with the CEO to compile and publish our science newsletters informing on the most exciting scientific developments, emerging trends and collaborative opportunities in Switzerland and China. By finding and publicizing the most newsworthy scientific papers coming out of both countries, you will gain real-world experience working as a public information officer at an official representation of Switzerland in one of the fastest-changing regions of the world. Additionally, you will be tasked with supporting the CEO with the coordination of science diplomacy projects and high-profile delegation visits. In this role you will not only be afforded the opportunity to take part in the planning and execution of exciting projects and events, but will also be able to extend your personal network of contacts and gain practical experience by supporting the team in administrative and operational tasks. Our hard-working, super friendly and supportive team will be there to help guide you on this extraordinary journey.
- Identify newsworthy information and trends from university / public outlets and scientific journals for the science newsletters.
- Manage a variety of outreach and communications-related tasks, including but not limited to overseeing the science newsletters, social media support and collating science and technology-related news articles for both internal and external audiences.
- Draft a variety of written materials including news releases, articles, newsletters, blog posts and correspondence.
- Assist in managing and scheduling science diplomacy projects (Diplomatic Circle) and delegation visits; provide support for the organization and implementation of special events.
- Serve as a resource and advocate for Swiss-based research, science and innovation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Swiss or Chinese passport holder (CN / CH citizenship only)
- You study / have studied at a Swiss University or University of Applied Sciences
- You must be enrolled in an university or have graduated within 12 months from the beginning of the internship
- Excellent writing skills, strong attention to detail and ability to work autonomously
- Superior written and oral English language skills; additional languages (Chinese in particular) are welcome
- Experience or strong understanding of the fields of science and technology
- Fast-thinking, proactive problem-solving skills with the self-motivation to make things happen with a positive outlook
- Curiosity and interest in science and international affairs, with emphasis on Switzerland and China
- Please note that the conditions of employment are local, no expatriate contract
- Personal costs and expenses, such as accommodation and traveling expenses are not being covered or reimbursed
Did we raise your interest? Then we look forward to hearing more about you!
Send your full application to this LINK until June 30, 2018!
Your application must include the following documents:
- Cover letter (letter of motivation) and CV
- Copies of letters of reference, university diplomas, and transcript of records, as well as work certificates
We will reply to incoming applications after the deadline. No phone call inquiries please.
More details will be shared in the process of the recruitment.