After successful showcase in Art Museum of Central Academy of Fine Arts in Beijing, Weingart Typography China Shanghai Exhibition opened at Design and Innovation Collage, Tongji University on October 15, 2017. The exhibition is co-organized by Tongji University and swissnex China and will last until 10 November. Afterwards, it will be touring to Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts.
As the main supporter of the exhibition, Dr. Felix Moesner, CEO of swissnex China attended the opening and delivered the opening speech. Mr. Erwin Lüthi, Deputy Consul General of Switzerland also joined the opening as the honored guest.
Weingart Typography China Touring Exhibition presents the first comprehensive exhibition in China devoted to the work and teaching of Wolfgang Weingart and is based on the exhibition by Museum für Gestaltung Zürich in 2014. All of the exhibits come from the Museum’s own collections and are donated by Mr. Weingart, including more than 200 pieces by Weingart himself as well as examples of his students’ work.
Wolfgang Weingart , the Swiss graphic designer and design educator is known for his pioneering work in typography and graphic design in the 1960s and 70s. He rebelled against the then dominant Swiss International Style and spoke with an eloquent typographic voice of his own. Through teaching and practice Weingart influenced generations of students from all over the world and inspired a “New Wave” of typography which traveled from Basel to North America. This wave reverberated with the emerging Post-modernism in the country to create an impact on graphic design in profound ways.
From 1-15 Oct.2017, swissnex China together with Pro Helvetia Shanghai and World VR Forum (WVRF) organized an amazing Virtual Reality event at West Bund, Shanghai. WVRF takes VR out of the technology scene and shows the power of Virtual Reality as accessible and quality entertainment media. The well-curated show brings world-class of works of art to the daily lives of Shanghainese.
The media preview and grand opening of this event was held on 30th September 2017. It was an honor to invite Chinese media, VR players and featured artists to join this incredible ceremony.
During the exhibition period, various workshops and lectures as well as a kids’ day were organized by different partners, which were very well received by the participants.
The Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences announced on Tuesday (October 4th) the names of the winners of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry. These include Jacques Dubochet from the University of Lausanne, Joachim Frank from Columbia University in the United States and Richard Henderson from the Molecular Biology Laboratory in Cambridge, England.
Jacques Dubochet gave a lecture at UNIL. He opened his speech with humor: “A scientific prize is an ambiguous thing. It highlights an individual, while he should put forward a collective. The Academy honors us for a job done 30 years ago. Because we invented cold water” he said, laughing.
The three researchers are rewarded for their work in electronic cryomicroscopy. “Biochemical maps have long been filled with white spaces. Electronic cryomicroscopy changes everything. Researchers can now freeze biomolecules mid-range and visualize processes they have never seen before. This technology simplifies and improves both the imaging of biomolecules. It transports biochemistry into a new era.” the statement of the Swedish institution said.
To the question of how the idea came to the researchers, Jacques Dubochet answered that under the microscope, air is opaque to electrons. So they chose to use water. “We had to find how to handle the drying, since the water evaporates. We had the idea of freezing it. ”
Jacques Dubochet was born in Aigle on 8 June 1942. He obtained his doctorate in 1973 from the universities of Geneva and Basel. He became a professor at the University of Lausanne in 1987. Jacques Dubochet will be the Director of the Laboratory of Ultrastructural Analysis and the Center for Electron Microscopy. He is currently an Honorary Professor of Biophysics at the University of Lausanne.
Source: University of Lausanne website
Photo credit details: UNIL
VR Villa at West Bund Reveals the Next Chapter in the Evolution of VR
swissnex China is supporting World VR Forum (WVRF) in organizing an amazing Virtual Reality event at West Bund, Shanghai, in collaboration with Pro Helvetia Shanghai. WVRF takes VR out of the technology scene and shows the power of Virtual Reality as accessible and quality entertainment media. The well-curated show brings world-class of works of art to the daily lives of Shanghainese from 1st to 15th October 2017.
The media preview and grand opening of this event is on 30th September 2017. It is an honor to invite Chinese media, VR players and featured artists to join this incredible ceremony.
Public & Professional Week
The event to the public is between 1st and 15th October 2017 from 10am to 5pm every day. Professional week is between 9th to 15th October 2017, featuring events with VR industrial partners.
There will be four VR installations, one Gaming Zone, one VR Cinema in this event and public workshops and talks.
This event is supported by swissnex China, Pro Helvetia Shanghai and Swiss Arts Council.
For more information, please visit vr–villa–westbund.worldvrforum.com
For further event queries, please contact: Salar Shahna, Curator, CEO of World VR Forum firstname.lastname@example.org
+41 79 2397088
+86 132 626 79187
About World VR Forum (#WVRF)
WVRF is a non-profit organization, dedicated to advancing Virtual and Augmented Reality throughout Switzerland and the world by annually hosting a VR/AR Summit and collaborating with other organizations on VR/AR related events throughout the year.
About swissnex China
swissnex’s goal is to promote Switzerland’s excellence as one of the world’s leading countries in the fields of innovation,
research, technology and higher education, to connect academia and business and to facilitate cooperation between the two countries. Briefly said: promote – connect – facilitate, offering:
- Visibility for Swiss and Swiss-based research, science and art in the interface of technology
- Support of international relations of Swiss universities
- Networking opportunities with highly educated and technology-savvy peers
- Targeted introductions and access to network of academic and business leaders
About Pro Helvetia Shanghai
Wechat: pro_helvetia, Weibo: 瑞士文化基金会
Pro Helvetia is dedicated to the promotion of contemporary cultural works of national and international interest. It also fosters co-productions or exchanges between Swiss artists and artists from other countries, in particular from countries where Pro Helvetia has a regional office.
Pro Helvetia Shanghai is the youngest of nine offices that now represents the Swiss Arts Council in mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau. Its aim is to encourage dialogue between Swiss and Chinese cultural practitioners and institutions by supporting projects that enhance the exchange of knowledge and experience in the cultural field.
Switching-Time, the integrated boutique agency based on Shanghai is looking for a PR Intern to join our thriving team and work across some really exciting brands.
This is an exceptional opportunity to work in a truly unique creative agency and across an enviable collection of consumer lifestyle clients. You will join an energetic and extremely supportive team, taking some responsibilities and getting involved in PR programs that we deliver.
The role & responsibilities:
- Media sample handling
- Event support
- Attend regular meetings
- Clipping report and different reports for management and clients
- You may in addition be asked to perform any other duties reasonably within yourcapability and skills as the interests of the business dictate
- A passion for communication & PR
- Educated to high standard in the field of PR, Marketing or Journalism
- Excellent quality of work produced to client satisfaction with minimum errors
- Accurate attention to detail and admin tasks
- Proper knowledge in all Microsoft Office programs
- Literate and numerate with strong writing and editing skills
- Mandarin and English both writing and speaking is required
We will offer an ambitious junior candidate first-class opportunities for career progression and skill development. Within this global PR and Event agency, you will learn all aspects of an integrated campaign, working closely with their strong team.
Please send us your profile to email@example.com
swissnex China’s mission is to promote Swiss excellence in science, education, and innovation. Our activities are built around a public/private partnership model with a group of leading partners such as Swiss Universities, and global organizations promoting innovation or education actively. We are looking for an entrepreneurial-minded colleague to help us “connect the dots” in research, education, and innovation between Switzerland and China. We are building knowledge and networks with many universities, research organizations, and governmental agencies. Our passion is to bring closer professors, students, scientists, entrepreneurs and others for collaborative work.
Position Project Leader Academic Relations
Starting August 1, 2017, or according to availability
Located in Shanghai, China
Typical projects of a Project Leader Academic Relations at swissnex China include:
- Implementation of collaborative projects between Swiss and Chinese universities or research groups
- Support and connection for visiting delegations
- Organization of workshops, presentations, conferences from idea to completion and beyond
- Strategic use of social media to communicate information with our stakeholders
- Research on current trends in education, science and technology, and innovation
- Development of networks and relationships in the academic community
- Identify new areas for collaboration
- Support professors, administrators, sabbaticals, students in their projects
- Analysis of trends and new information in academic field
- Development of projects from idea to execution
- Grow and manage relationships with Chinese universities and institutions, Swiss partners and individual contacts
- Foster the Swiss university alumni network
- “Community” management using social media and other communication tools
- Support for events and delegation visits
- Swiss or Chinese citizenship
- BS or BA, Master preferred
- Knowledge of the academic field in China and Switzerland (education landscape)
- Working experience in a similar work environment (international relations office)
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest in international cooperation in a relevant field such as S&T, education, and innovation;
- For Swiss citizens: native language German, French or Italian with excellent command of English and a second national language; Chinese knowledge highly preferred;
- For Chinese citizens: native language Mandarin, with excellent command in English, additional knowledge in French or German highly preferred.
We are looking for a self-driven and motivated colleague to help us identify and engage with partners or new contacts. We want a team player who can work in a collaborative way while appreciating the diversity of the staff. An entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility and great “people skills”, combined with fresh ideas and the readiness to help the new colleagues are a great plus. We offer a platform which allows you grow your professional skills and interest, and gain experience in a multicultural, fast-paced and team-oriented work environment. Our benefits include remuneration according to the given environmental conditions, some Swiss and Chinese official holidays, additional to the generous amount of vacation days.
Please note that the conditions of employment are local, and for Swiss or Chinese citizens/passport holders only.
Your application must include the following documents:
- Cover letter (letter of motivation) and CV
- Letters of reference, University diplomas, and Transcript of Records, as well as work certificates
Apply until June 30, 2017 to this LINK
We will reply to incoming applications after the deadline.
More details will be shared in the process of the recruitment.